Definition of mendacious in English:
Not telling the truth; lying: mendacious propaganda
More example sentences
- It is an outright lie, a fabrication by a mendacious and unscrupulous writer.
- He wanted me to know the sort of country I was living in and what was going on around me, in defiance of the chronically mendacious official propaganda.
- Overall, Wittenberg portrays him as a petty, hypocritical, mendacious man whose primary focus was self-promotion.
lying, untruthful, dishonest, deceitful, false, dissembling, insincere, disingenuous, hypocritical, fraudulent, double-dealing, two-faced, Janus-faced, two-timing, duplicitous, perjured, perfidious;
humorous economical with the truth, terminologically inexact
- Example sentences
- Everything will be done,’ he told a colleague from the newspaper mendaciously.
- Obviously this is mendaciously disingenuous coming from the erstwhile Prince of Darkness who has torpedoed many a career with anonymous briefings to journalists.
- You cannot let them, as the old legal adage has it, mendaciously cry ‘fire’ in a crowded theatre.
Words that rhyme with mendaciousAthanasius, audacious, bodacious, cactaceous, capacious, carbonaceous, contumacious, Cretaceous, curvaceous, disputatious, edacious, efficacious, fallacious, farinaceous, flirtatious, foliaceous, fugacious, gracious, hellacious, herbaceous, Ignatius, loquacious, mordacious, ostentatious, perspicacious, pertinacious, pugnacious, rapacious, sagacious, salacious, saponaceous, sebaceous, sequacious, setaceous, spacious, tenacious, veracious, vexatious, vivacious, voracious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan