noun (plural mentos)[mass noun]
- A style of Jamaican folk music based on a traditional dance rhythm in duple time.More example sentences
- Jamaica's musical past goes far beyond reggae: There's the warm rhythms of mento, the sweet sway of calypso, the jittery jump of ska.
- It reflects a moment in which Jamaican pop music was synthesising Black R&B and West Indian mento music.
- The mento that graced the first Jamaican recordings of the early 1950s mixed an indigenous folk style with elements of Trinidadian calypso.
early 20th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of mentoDefinition of mento in:
- The US English dictionary