- A person who has acquired sufficient wealth from trading to wield political influence.More example sentences
- The Jacobsens were an industrial dynasty, and had the intense - and also tense - relations between the generations for which nineteenth-century merchant princes and their offspring were notorious.
- Stefan, whose late father founded the company, looks and talks more like a financier than a merchant prince.
- The Martin factor has changed the dynamic in Cork South-Central and the merchant princes have been deposed as the dominant force on the southside of the city.
More definitions of merchant princeDefinition of merchant prince in:
- The US English dictionary