noun (plural merchantmen)
- A ship carrying merchandise.More example sentences
- More than 50 British warships, survey vessels, training ships and auxiliaries will be joined by more than 120 foreign warships, merchantmen and tall ships in a review formation at Spithead.
- This picturesque town has been a haven for ships - merchantmen, naval vessels, and buccaneer galleons - since the 1600s.
- During her first month in the Gulf, Northumberland has spent 75 per cent of the time at sea, and has boarded ships ranging in size from small merchantmen to large cargo ships.
More definitions of merchantmanDefinition of merchantman in:
- The US English dictionary