- 1In a merciful manner: God had acted mercifullyMore example sentences
- Israel has a moral responsibility to act justly and mercifully when dealing with her own citizens and others.
- The very word sickens me, and the thought of my own sisters acting mercifully is almost too much to bear!
- The wreath tradition stuck around until he mercifully ended it.
- 2 [sentence adverb] To one’s great relief; fortunately: mercifully, the event passed off without incidentMore example sentences
- The sudden and, as it turns out, mercifully brief closure of Fibbers threw into sharp relief the lack of venues for live music in York.
- Allie made her way onto the beach, still clumsy legs getting relief in the mercifully soft sand.
- That is the view of two leading experts on the topic who, yesterday, published a mercifully brief and clear summation of the situation.