Definition of mereology in English:
noun[mass noun] Philosophy
The abstract study of the relations between parts and wholes.
- I think that there is work in mereology (the study if identity and the relationship between parts and wholes) that deals with the ‘calculus of individuals’ n terms of things called ‘fusions.’
- In addition to the topics discussed, Brentano made important contributions to metaphysics, especially on the relation of substance and accidents, and concerning mereology.
- The structure can be described using mereology and how about topological relation of the structure.
- Example sentences
- A second sort of puzzle relates to the fact that Aristotle's mereological definition only seems to apply to a realm of continuous entities.
- According to the doctrine of mereological essentialism, all composite objects have all of their proper parts essentially, which is generally regarded as an excessively extreme claim.
- Modal variants as well as mereological variants of such views are also available.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.