Another term for midbrain.
- The latter includes the diencephalon; mesencephalon, or midbrain; pons; and medulla oblongata.
- The neural tube is broad and divides flaccidly into three parts: an anterior prosencephalon, a middle mesencephalon, and a posterior rhombencephalon.
- Continuing in the vocabulary vein, the ‘neuraxis’ is ‘the axial unpaired part of the central nervous system, composed of the spinal cord, rhombencephalon, mesencephalon, and diencephalon.’
- Example sentences
- Two non-sensory control regions were examined, the optic tectum and the mesencephalic tegmentum.
- The root fibers arising from the trochlear nuclei form a decussation dorsal to the mesencephalic aqueduct, and they are the only cranial nerves that cross completely and that leave the dorsal aspect of the brain stem.
- The principal mesencephalic projection to the striatum originates from the substantia nigra pars compacta.
Mid 19th century: from Greek mesos 'middle' + encephalon.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: mes|en¦ceph|alon
Definition of mesencephalon in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.