noun[mass noun] Botany
- The inner tissue (parenchyma) of a leaf, containing many chloroplasts.More example sentences
- Thus, elements of the guard cell's response to stress are present in mesophyll and xylem parenchyma cells.
- Inactivation of plastids in the leaf mesophyll, which normally contains the majority of chloroplasts would be the most easily identified.
- Light dependence of zeaxanthin formation in hypocotyl and mesophyll chloroplasts of Arabidopsis seedlings
mid 19th century: from meso- 'middle' + Greek phullon 'leaf'.
More definitions of mesophyllDefinition of mesophyll in:
- The US English dictionary