The middle segment of the thorax of an insect, bearing the forewings or elytra.
- For this purpose a paper flag, made from a small piece of white cardboard is glued to the dorsum of the mesothorax in about vertical direction.
- We compared the extent of pruinescence on the head, pterothorax (fused mesothorax and metathorax), and abdominal segments 1 to 10 between males of the two species.
- Tufted is a classical Drosophila mutant characterized by a large number of ectopic mechanosensory bristles on the dorsal mesothorax.
- Example sentences
- Females then actively collect pollen from the newly mature anthers and pack it into special structures on their mesothoracic sternites, while the wingless males tunnel back through the fig wall.
- I removed both of the mesothoracic wings from the bodies of the females that had given or received significantly high rates of biting.
- The postmating harm treatments used were ablation of a mesothoracic leg, ablation of an antenna, ablation of a wing, puncture of the abdomen, and puncture of the thorax.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: meso|thorax
Definition of mesothorax in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.