A spiny tree or shrub of the pea family, native to arid regions of south-western US and Mexico. It yields timber, tanbark, medicinal products, and edible pods.
- Genus Prosopis, family Leguminosae: several species
More example sentences
- This kind of symbiosis, incidentally, is also found in leguminous or pod forming plants - including peas and beans, wisteria vines, acacia, mesquite, and coral trees.
- Juniper trees are common throughout the canyon as well as mesquite, cottonwood, salt cedar, willow, western soapberry and hackberry.
- In summer months they eat cacti, sagebrush, mesquite, alfalfa, clover, other grasses, and herbaceous vegetation.
mid 18th century: from Mexican Spanish mezquite.
More definitions of mesquiteDefinition of mesquite in:
- The US English dictionary