1The uniform worn by a military officer on formal occasions in the mess.
- On VE day, when he was running a laboratory in a field hospital in Poona, the officers' mess laid on a celebratory meal, and he was made to dine outside on the lawn as he didn't have full mess kit.
- We got to dress up, Tom more than me as I don't have the gear, but he has a kilt, and wears it with his mess kit.
- Uniforms range from full mess kit (with dinner jackets, cummerbunds or waistcoats, etc) to Service Dress with bow ties.
2A soldier’s cooking and eating utensils.
- Digging her mess kit out of her saddlebags, she set about retrieving some dinner from the pans littering the pit stones along the edge of the fire's reach.
- I packed a small one-burner backpacking stove, a bag of rice, two cans of kidney beans, and a mess kit for four people in my backpack.
- Based on a Marine Corps system the M - 1945 combat field pack (carrying underwear toilet articles mess kit, poncho) joined to the M - 1945 field cargo pack (extra clothing) and belt with canteen and first-aid packet pouch.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: mess kit
Definition of mess kit in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.