Definition of messenger in English:
1A person who carries a message or is employed to carry messages.
- Agni was the next and was important in the sacrifices and was considered as a messenger, carrying the messages to the heavens, as the flames of the sacrificial fires ascended upwards.
- In Ancient Egypt, the Pharaoh's messengers and diplomatic envoys carried with them the seal of the Pharaoh, production of which guaranteed the carrier free and unhindered passage throughout the region.
- But the really amazing thing is that so many others in the free world not only do not agree but loathe and detest this message and its messengers.
1.1 Biochemistry A substance that conveys information or a stimulus within the body: nitric oxide is an intercellular messenger
More example sentences
- As the body's chemical messengers, hormones transfer information and instructions from one set of cells to another.
- It translates genetic information from messenger ribonucleic acid and makes protein accordingly.
- ‘Some plasticizers can mimic the effects of certain hormones - they're chemical messengers in the body,’ she says.
verb[with object] chiefly US Back to top
Send (a document or package) by messenger: could you have it messengered over to me?
More example sentences
- Knowing I was ill she messengered me over some echinacea and zinc and ginger tea.
- But I think, as circumstance would have it, she was anticipating, I think, a script to be messengered, and there was a buzz at her door.
- Arnaz phones the night club, has Stack paged and asks him to go home and read some scripts that are being messengered to his doorstep.
shoot (or kill) the messenger
- Treat the bearer of bad news as if they were to blame for it: I was only reporting—no point in shooting the messengerMore example sentences
- There is no time to be wasted by shooting the messenger of bad news.
- The British public can't allow the Labour Party to shoot the messenger of such important news.
- Calling them names for doing so is like shooting the messenger who brings bad news.
Words that rhyme with messengerpresager • Kissinger
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.