Definition of messiah in English:
1 (the Messiah) The promised deliverer of the Jewish nation prophesied in the Hebrew Bible.
- They serve as the prototypes for the Messiah from Joseph, and the Messiah from David, who usher in the Messianic Era.
- Actually, our tradition tells us that the Messiah will not come on Shabbat or Yom Tov.
- Where does the Jewish concept of Messiah come from?
1.1Jesus regarded by Christians as the Messiah of the Hebrew prophecies and the saviour of humankind.
- Barnard concluded by stating that any man who engaged his conscience in scriptural study would come to the unquestionable conclusion that Jesus Christ was the messiah.
- Christ is simply the Greek translation of the Hebrew word messiah.
- To begin with, one of the most common elements in early Christian preaching is the great effort to show that the crucified Jesus was Israel's messiah as testified to by her scriptures.
2A leader regarded as the saviour of a particular country, group, or cause: the club’s supporters have been tempted to regard him as a messiah rather than a manager
More example sentences
- On the political front, these leaders were akin to messiahs in their respective parties and countries.
- By definition, the traditional storytellers were not leaders, much less messiahs.
- In the present times we have the new age gurus, generation next philosophers, management messiahs and a host of others offering quick-fix solutions, spiritual paradigms and instant nirvanas.
- Example sentences
- The messiahship of Jesus has a meaning that is new and original.
- Much of the evidence for this is derived from a messianist rabbinic ruling, issued in 1997, requiring all Jews to accept the messiahship of Rabbi Schneerson.
- If so, Jesus was reluctant to spell out the nature of his messiahship, but his actions and words provided plenty of hints for his followers to reach this conclusion for themselves.
Words that rhyme with messiahacquire, admire, afire, applier, aspire, attire, ayah, backfire, barbwire, bemire, briar, buyer, byre, choir, conspire, crier, cryer, defier, denier, desire, dire, drier, dryer, dyer, enquire, entire, esquire, expire, fire, flyer, friar, fryer, Gaia, gyre, hellfire, hire, hiya, ire, Isaiah, jambalaya, Jeremiah, Josiah, Kintyre, latria, liar, lyre, Maia, Maya, Mayer, mire, misfire, Nehemiah, Obadiah, papaya, pariah, peripeteia, perspire, playa, Praia, prior, pyre, quire, replier, scryer, shire, shyer, sire, skyer, Sophia, spire, squire, supplier, Surabaya, suspire, tier, tire, transpire, trier, tumble-dryer, tyre, Uriah, via, wire, Zechariah, Zedekiah, Zephaniah
Definition of messiah in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.