- (In the navy) a person with whom one shares communal accommodation.More example sentences
- When one congressman failed to vote with his messmates another congressman complained,‘We let him… sit at the same table with us, but we do not speak to him… He has betrayed those with whom he broke bread.’
- ‘Of course he'll live, ’said his messmates. ‘Ain't the doctor pumped him dry, and blown out his gaff with physic?’
- He'd assume, quite rightly, that some sailorman like himself had landed there in the past, and maybe if he was of sentimental romantic inclination he'd put it in his pocket for his girlfriend or to show his messmates.
More definitions of messmateDefinition of messmate in:
- The US English dictionary