Definition of meta in English:
short for meta key.
- If you frequently use Alt keys-for example, if you use Emacs and Alt is your meta key-you probably will prefer this.
- A predecessor of the pop-up window, the fast meta refresh trick involves opening one page and almost instantly having your browser redirected to another page.
- Each of these elements is enclosed in angle brackets and begins with the word ‘meta’ (< meta… >).
adjectiveUS Back to top
(Of a creative work) referring to itself or to the conventions of its genre; self-referential: the enterprise is inherently ‘meta’, since it doesn’t review movies, for example, it reviews the reviewers who review movies
More example sentences
- Have we been, again, duped by the dripping irony that infects the post / meta genre, rendering it all but useless?
- It's really easy to criticize a bad record, but impossible to do great music justice in ink (or meta ink for that matter).
- It's a song about several songs, and this meta aspect never sounds forced or calculated - instead, it seems artful and intuitive.
1980s: from meta-.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan