Definition of metachromasia in English:
noun[mass noun] Biology
1The property of certain biological materials of staining a different colour from that of the stain used.
- In these cases, metachromasy is an indication of dimerization and polymerization of the adsorbed dyes.
- The metachromasy was found to be independent of phase transition temperature of vesicles.
- The change in color of a dye which results from metachromasy is not due to a change in pH of an aqueous solution containing it.
- Example sentences
- Fragments of metachromatic chondromyxoid extracellular material contained cells that were reminiscent of chondrocytes.
- These include the metachromatic stains or enzymatic stains.
- The classic leukodystrophies include adrenoleukodystrophy, Krabbe's globoid cell, and metachromatic leukodystrophy, and a few other less well known entities.
Definition of metachromasia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan