Definition of metagenesis in English:
noun[mass noun] Biology
The alternation of generations between sexual and asexual reproduction.
- It is the life cycle consisting of an asexual and a sexual generation (metagenesis) of the cycliophorans that makes the phylum unique.
- However, unlike cnidarians, ctenophores possess rows of cilia and a unique, complex sensory organ and lack cnidae and metagenesis.
- Checkpoints in the life-cycle of Cassiopea spp.: control of metagenesis and metamorphosis in a tropical jellyfish.
late 19th century: modern Latin.
- Example sentences
- The life cycle of Chrysaora lactea is metagenetic and was completed with laboratory rearing observations.
- It is, at least, geared towards an understanding of mutual metagenetic affectations in an experiment of non-exclusion.
- However, if innate ability were not only sufficient but necessary, it is obvious from a metagenetic analysis of human history that we would have died out long ago.
Definition of metagenesis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia