Definition of metagenesis in English:
noun[mass noun] Biology
The alternation of generations between sexual and asexual reproduction.
- It is the life cycle consisting of an asexual and a sexual generation (metagenesis) of the cycliophorans that makes the phylum unique.
- However, unlike cnidarians, ctenophores possess rows of cilia and a unique, complex sensory organ and lack cnidae and metagenesis.
- Checkpoints in the life-cycle of Cassiopea spp.: control of metagenesis and metamorphosis in a tropical jellyfish.
late 19th century: modern Latin.
- Example sentences
- The life cycle of Chrysaora lactea is metagenetic and was completed with laboratory rearing observations.
- It is, at least, geared towards an understanding of mutual metagenetic affectations in an experiment of non-exclusion.
- However, if innate ability were not only sufficient but necessary, it is obvious from a metagenetic analysis of human history that we would have died out long ago.
Definition of metagenesis in:
- US English dictionary