noun (plural metallicities)[mass noun]
- 1.1 Astronomy The proportion of the material of a star or other celestial object that is an element other than hydrogen or helium: [count noun]: another study of these galaxies shows that they have very low metallicitiesMore example sentences
- However, independent information comes from extrasolar planet host metallicities, the supernova rate and the metallicity evolution of the Galaxy.
- The ratio of heavier elements to hydrogen and helium is known as metallicity.
- Scientists can look at stars all over the galaxy and determine the metallicity at the time they were formed.
More definitions of metallicityDefinition of metallicity in:
- The US English dictionary