- A synthetic composite material with a structure such that it exhibits properties not usually found in natural materials, especially a negative refractive index: the team began making these metamaterials and demonstrated several that scattered electromagnetic waves unlike any known materialsMore example sentences
- But the negative-index metamaterials that have been demonstrated are far more dispersive than typical materials.
- Such a small index does not mean the speed of light exceeds that of a vacuum: this rule of thumb breaks down in metamaterials.
- So far researchers have only developed metamaterials that divert radar and microwaves - rather than light waves, which are the key to invisibility.
More definitions of metamaterialDefinition of metamaterial in:
- The US English dictionary