noun[mass noun] Geology
- Alteration of the composition or structure of a rock by heat, pressure, or other natural agency: all the rocks were subjected to several phases of metamorphism and deformationMore example sentences
- No such difference in the pressure or temperature of metamorphism in the country rock is detectable.
- Baked contacts with host rocks indicate that metamorphism associated with intrusion predates shearing.
- A striking characteristic of the Hellenides in the Aegean is the southward propagation of nappe emplacement and high - pressure metamorphism.
More definitions of metamorphismDefinition of metamorphism in:
- The US English dictionary