Definition of metathorax in English:
The posterior segment of the thorax of an insect, bearing the hindwings.
- Most praying mantids have a single midline ear in the ventral metathorax.
- We compared the extent of pruinescence on the head, pterothorax (fused mesothorax and metathorax), and abdominal segments 1 to 10 between males of the two species.
- As an indication of more extreme transformations, the frequency of the presence of sternopleural bristles on the proximal lateral prothorax and metathorax was also calculated.
- Example sentences
- A typical male will clasp the lateral edges of the female's elytra with his prothoracic and mesothoracic legs, while his metathoracic legs are extended behind to serve as stabilizers when they drag on the substrate.
- Upon thawing, the head and left metathoracic femur of each moth were removed and dried.
- Additionally, Eosentomata possess meso- and metathoracic spiracles with a primitive tracheal system, while members of Acerentomata lack these structures.
Definition of metathorax in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan