Definition of meteorite in English:
A piece of rock or metal that has fallen to the earth’s surface from outer space as a meteor. Over 90 per cent of meteorites are of rock while the remainder consist wholly or partly of iron and nickel.
- It has been identified in carbonaceous achondrite and iron meteorites.
- Grouped with iron meteorites, these are pieces from the cores of fledgling planets destroyed by collisions when the Solar System formed.
- They are very similar in composition to the carbonaceous chondrite meteorites that sometimes fall on Earth.
- Example sentences
- By examining the volatile content of meteoritic contaminants in the lunar regolith and of volatiles cold-trapped at the lunar poles, we can determine their chemical and isotopic composition and possible source regions.
- Lunar and meteoritic rocks are older than terrestrial material, but they may have formed very recently indeed during the history of the Universe so are not useful in the cosmological setting
- In this region they would have been safe from late meteoritic and cometary impacts after the accretion of the Earth.
Definition of meteorite in:
- US English dictionary