A small body moving in the solar system that would become a meteor if it entered the earth’s atmosphere.
- The term ‘space debris’ in its largest sense includes all naturally occurring remains of solar and planetary processes: interplanetary dust, meteoroids, asteroids, and comets.
- Once the meteoroids enter the Earth's atmosphere, they are known as meteors and become visible due to the friction caused by air molecules slamming against the surface of the high-velocity particle.
- It is probably natural to think of meteorites - as the meteoroids that fall to Earth are called - as threatening, even dangerous, phenomena.
- Example sentences
- The moon, after all, had acted as a gravitational trap for meteoroidal material accumulated from space over many eons.
- It was interpreted as a meteoroidal bolide followed by probable meteorite fall.
- If you have a small telescope, within your grasp are many thousands of craters, ranging from the grand walled plains to meteoroidal and asteroidal impact craters with their bright ray systems.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: me¦teor|oid
Definition of meteoroid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.