- A device that measures and records the quantity, degree, or rate of something: an electricity meterMore example sentences
- A trifield meter measures the electromagnetic frequency in the space around it.
- A better but more expensive measuring device is a laser meter.
- This new technology will enable residents to keep a check on their own electricity and water consumption and act as a record for the meter readings.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Measure by means of a meter: digital switchboards metered calls by seconds and dialled destination (as adjective metered) a metered supply of water (as noun metering) the introduction of water meteringMore example sentences
- Businesses and organisations that use significant quantities of water are metered.
- The meter operating fee assigns the meter operating costs equitably to customers who have metered water service.
- Payments for water, which is metered, are used to keep up and expand the system.