- systematic chemical name for formic acid.More example sentences
- The majority of methanol is used in the manufacture of methanal, with smaller amounts of methanoic acid (formic acid) and chloromethane also being manufactured.
- In addition, the methanoic acid would be used as a feedstock to manufacture higher chemicals and polymers.
- Condensation of methanoic acid with ethanol will produce ethyl methanoate, an ester having the odor of rum.
late 19th century: methanoic, from methane + -oic (perhaps on the pattern of benzoic).
More definitions of methanoic acidDefinition of methanoic acid in:
- The US English dictionary