Definition of method acting in English:
A technique of acting in which an actor aspires to complete emotional identification with a part, based on the system evolved by Stanislavsky and brought into prominence in the US in the 1930s. Method acting was developed by Elia Kazan and Lee Strasberg in particular, and is associated with actors such as Marlon Brando and Dustin Hoffman.
- Her method acting is based on the technique of Sanford Meisner who developed it when he was head of the prestigious Neighborhood Playhouse School of Acting in New York.
- The five-week course focuses on the Meisner Technique, a form of method acting practiced on theatre stages around the world.
- How different is it from some of the traditional methods that actors use to prepare for a role, such as method acting, when you try to grasp the essence of a character.
- method actor noun
- Example sentences
- Most of the film's negligible tension comes from the relationship between the director and his ultimate method actor.
- Nor is he the sort of method actor who immerses himself in a role for months prior to shooting.
- It's that look - pent-up rage seeping from every pore - that this method actor has delivered now for three decades in more than 80 screen appearances, many of which have been for young directors at the start of their careers.
Definition of method acting in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.