noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A synthetic drug that stimulates the sympathetic and central nervous systems, used chiefly to improve mental activity in attention deficit disorder. Also called Ritalin ( • trademark ).More example sentences
- We have seen it with antidepressants in adults and methylphenidate in behaviourally disordered children.
- Traditional treatments, such as the stimulant drugs methylphenidate and amphetamine, outperformed caffeine in improving functioning and reducing levels of hyperactivity.
- Ritalin is the brand name for methylphenidate, a central nervous system stimulant that is often prescribed for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).
More definitions of methylphenidateDefinition of methylphenidate in:
- The US English dictionary