noun (plural metros)
An underground railway system in a city, especially Paris.
- A good example of this is the map of an underground railway system or metro.
- Neville said Data Display had other major contracts with the Paris metro, the London underground, and rail systems in Lisbon, Stockholm and Amsterdam.
- In the city, getting around is relatively easy with the metro and tram system.
adjective[attributive] North American
Metropolitan: the Detroit metro area
More example sentences
- The recommendations were based on analyses of commercial strips along three corridors in the Washington, D.C., metro area.
- Rankings of 63 metro areas reporting populations 250,000 to 500,000 in the 2000 Census
- Only the Multnomah Co. and Lane Co. metro areas voted Blue.
Early 20th century: from French métro, abbreviation of métropolitain (from Chemin de Fer Métropolitain 'Metropolitan Railway').
Words that rhyme with metroretro
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: metro
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.