Definition of metrology in English:
The scientific study of measurement.
- The Swedish physicist prized Michelson's use of his interferometer in metrology and, in particular, for determining experimentally the length of the international metre.
- As a result of the extremely small line width of less than 5 MHz, possible applications are also in spectroscopy, metrology, sensor technology, and atomic physics.
- The company designs, sells and manufactures fibre-optic and laser products for a number of markets, including biotechnology, semi-conductor and scientific metrology.
- Example sentences
- The 1907 Nobel Prize for Physics therefore went to Michelson for his ‘optical precision instruments and the spectroscopic and metrological investigations carried out with their aid’.
- A new metrological device promises to speed the development of micromachines.
- In Kendal, Dalton started to keep a metrological journal, he made his own thermometers, barometers and other instruments.
Definition of metrology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan