(Of a cat or gull) make a characteristic high-pitched crying noise: cats mewing to be fed (as noun mewing) he heard mewing somewhere near the house
More example sentences
- The baby was found at 3am by a Spanish holidaymaker who thought he had heard a cat mewing.
- That's because a cat began mewing from an alley nearby.
- The old surveillance cat mewed pitifully on the way.
nounBack to top
The high-pitched cry of a cat or gull: a kitten’s mew
More example sentences
- There was a high-pitched mew, and one of the kitten's paws slashed up against the girl's right hand.
- It sounded like a faint mew of a kitten, but I wasn't really sure.
- He's big now, but he has a faint purr, a tiny kitten peeping mew.
Middle English: imitative.
Words that rhyme with mewaccrue, adieu, ado, anew, Anjou, aperçu, askew, ballyhoo, bamboo, bedew, bestrew, billet-doux, blew, blue, boo, boohoo, brew, buckaroo, canoe, chew, clew, clou, clue, cock-a-doodle-doo, cockatoo, construe, coo, Corfu, coup, crew, Crewe, cru, cue, déjà vu, derring-do, dew, didgeridoo, do, drew, due, endue, ensue, eschew, feu, few, flew, flu, flue, foreknew, glue, gnu, goo, grew, halloo, hereto, hew, Hindu, hitherto, how-do-you-do, hue, Hugh, hullabaloo, imbrue, imbue, jackaroo, Jew, kangaroo, Karroo, Kathmandu, kazoo, Kiangsu, knew, Kru, K2, kung fu, Lahu, Lanzhou, Lao-tzu, lasso, lieu, loo, Lou, Manchu, mangetout, misconstrue, miscue, moo, moue, mu, nardoo, new, non-U, nu, ooh, outdo, outflew, outgrew, peekaboo, Peru, pew, plew, Poitou, pooh, pooh-pooh, potoroo, pursue, queue, revue, roo, roux, rue, Selous, set-to, shampoo, shih-tzu, shoe, shoo, shrew, Sioux, skean dhu, skew, skidoo, slew, smew, snafu, sou, spew, sprue, stew, strew, subdue, sue, switcheroo, taboo, tattoo, thereto, thew, threw, thro, through, thru, tickety-boo, Timbuktu, tiramisu, to, to-do, too, toodle-oo, true, true-blue, tu-whit tu-whoo, two, vendue, view, vindaloo, virtu, wahoo, wallaroo, Waterloo, well-to-do, whereto, whew, who, withdrew, woo, Wu, yew, you, zoo
A cage or building for trained hawks, especially while they are moulting.
- Bobby hoisted his one-year-old son, Aidan, into a backpack and went to transfer two pet hawks from their outdoor weathering perch to an indoor mews.
- We do not have an outdoor mew to accommodate this size of bird and it's too cold outside for the condor now anyway.
- It was quieter here, and more orderly, with falcon mews and kennels for the Baron's hunting dogs ranged against the wall.
verbBack to top
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.