- 1A low storey between two others in a building, typically between the ground and first floors: [as modifier]: a mezzanine floorMore example sentences
- The new block contains a new entrance at ground level and a mezzanine that projects over the entrance hall like a protruding tongue.
- Situated on the steps leading from ground floor to the mezzanine, entitled Artist's Breath, the work is infused with pathos and mystery.
- The accommodation briefly comprises ground floor lounge bar, first floor mezzanine area, second floor catering kitchen (with service lift to bar area).
- 1.1North American The lowest balcony of a theatre, cinema, etc., or the front rows of the balcony: he came up to bat and was greeted with little optimism by the experienced fans in my sector of the mezzanineMore example sentences
- A balcony above the mezzanine displayed the porcelain, clothing, and other goods offered for sale.
- With good sightlines, a mezzanine and balcony that hovered over the action, and regularly scheduled doubleheaders, the Garden was a perfect venue for round-ball.
- Later I see the famous mad scene from the best seat in the house, perched atop a mezzanine in the Great Hall of Lammermoor Castle.
adjective[attributive] Finance Back to top
- Relating to or denoting unsecured, higher-yielding loans that are subordinate to bank loans and secured loans but rank above equity: the company received $9.1 m in mezzanine financingMore example sentences
- The two banks and Vernon are reported to have put up only €34 million of the purchase price, the remaining coming in the form of mezzanine finance and bank loans.
- DEG provides tailor-made long-term project and corporate finance through equity participation, mezzanine finance, and loans in all major currencies as well as Thai baht.
- We are now in a position to offer the whole range of services including leasing, term debt, mezzanine finance, venture capital and now working capital with a current account.
early 18th century: from French, from Italian mezzanino, diminutive of mezzano 'middle', from Latin medianus 'median'.
More definitions of mezzanineDefinition of mezzanine in:
- The US English dictionary