Definition of mezzo forte in English:
(Especially as a direction) moderately loud.
- Forty sting players - each playing pianissimo - will collectively sound nearly mezzo forte.
- Although singing most of the time only mezzo forte, his pronunciation is good, his coloraturas flow weightlessly and his piano is clear and sure.
- The feathery pianissimo lightness in the upper strings against the mezzo forte melody lower down is perfectly weighted.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
A moderately high volume.
- In Mahler there are unison passages between clarinets and violas in which the clarinets are marked mezzo forte crescendo to fortissimo and the violas are marked fortissimo diminuendo to mezzo forte - all on the same note.
- Fortissimo is louder than forte and mezzo forte, but don't bang; it'll… destroy the music completely.
- In their place are grating, electronic arrangements that never get below a mezzo forte.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.