An aggregate of molecules in a colloidal solution, such as those formed by detergents.
- As the polyethylene oxide drew more water out of the fibroin solution, the micelles aggregated into microscopic globules.
- The team made micelles from polymer molecules that have a water-attracting end and a water-avoiding end.
- The SDS molecules group together to form negatively charged micelles.
- Example sentences
- In fact, the affinity of anions toward cationic micellar aggregates, that is the degree of counterion binding, has been found to follow the Hofmeister series.
- When the average diameter is less than 100 the system is called a micellar emulsion.
- As the concentration of the detergent decreases from these lipid-detergent and lipid-protein-detergent micellar solutions, lipid bilayers are progressively formed in which the transmembrane proteins are incorporated.
Late 19th century: coined as a diminutive of Latin mica 'crumb'.
Definition of micelle in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.