Definition of microaerophilic in English:
(Of a microorganism) requiring little free oxygen, or oxygen at a lower partial pressure than that of atmospheric oxygen.
- Most organisms are of bowel origin, with Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, bacteroides, enterococci, anaerobic streptococci, and microaerophilic streptococci being most common.
- The cultures were incubated at 37 deg C in the controlled microaerophilic atmosphere described earlier or three days.
- After overnight incubation in selective media, recombinants were plated onto MM agar containing 20 g/ml kanamycin and maintained at 25°C in a sealed gas jar under microaerophilic conditions.
- Example sentences
- Hence, they were likely to be strict anaerobes, or possibly microaerophiles, with a capacity to degrade sugars and/or amino acids, forming acetate as one of the end products.
- Early models assumed that all magnetotactic bacteria are microaerophiles and indigenous in sediments.
- In addition to being able to respire with oxygen, some microaerophiles may be capable of respiring anaerobically with electron acceptors other than oxygen.