- A green, pink, or brown crystalline mineral consisting of potassium-rich feldspar, characteristic of granite and pegmatites.More example sentences
- They collected several pegmatite pockets in which topaz was associated with both clear and smoky quartz, microcline, albite, muscovite, fluorite, and cassiterite.
- Also associated with smoky quartz are microcline, fluorite, goethite (some as ‘onegite’), and topaz.
- The pegmatite is composed of microcline, plagioclase and quartz with minor amounts of clinopyroxene, orthopyroxene, ilmenite and zircon.
mid 19th century: from German Microklin, from Greek mikros 'small' + klinein 'to lean' (because its angle of cleavage differs only slightly from 90 degrees).
More definitions of microclineDefinition of microcline in:
- The US English dictionary