plural noun[usually treated as singular]
The design, manufacture, and use of microchips and microcircuits.
- ‘Wire bonding is a highly complex technology used in microelectronics to ultrasonically fuse together components within circuitry,’ Greasley said.
- The technical drivers for sensor development come not only from materials science but from innovations in low-cost, large-scale manufacturing of interconnects, microelectronics, and micromachining.
- Basically microelectronics is electronics taken down to such a small scale that people can't do it by hand anymore - doing everything on the computer, writing hardware description language.
- Example sentences
- Molecular electronics - designing carbon-based molecules to act as wires, diodes, transistors and other microelectronic devices - is one of the most dynamic frontiers in nanotechnology.
- The invention relates to the formation of structures in microelectronic devices such as integrated circuit devices by means of borderless via architectures in intermetal dielectrics.
- These well-aligned geometries are commonly used in the nanofabrication of integrated circuits and microelectronic devices.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: micro|elec¦tron¦ics
Definition of microelectronics in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.