Definition of microevolution in English:
noun[mass noun] Biology
Evolutionary change within a species or small group of organisms, especially over a short period.
- Resting eggs of planktonic organisms from datable sediment cores are increasingly used to reconstruct historical information on the abundance, size, genetic composition, and microevolution of planktonic organisms.
- They already acknowledge microevolution - mutation and natural selection within a species.
- The creation science folks accept microevolution but not macroevolution.
- 1microevolutionary adjective
- Example sentences
- First, genes expressed predominantly in males and the male germ line, and thus often subject to accelerated microevolutionary divergence, may be most likely to be deregulated in hybrids.
- Thus, adaptation-oriented studies of characters have expanded from microevolutionary studies of function and fitness to include macroevolutionary studies of phylogenetic patterns.
- To apply phylogenetic reasoning to questions about species status requires broadening of simple principles when microevolutionary processes may result in true differences among gene phylogenies.
Definition of microevolution in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.