noun (plural microfilariae)Zoology
- The minute larva of a filaria.More example sentences
- According to health experts, when an infected female mosquito bites a person, she may inject the worm larvae, called microfilariae, into the blood.
- Over a week or so, these microfilariae develop into infective larvae and can be transmitted when the fly bites another person.
- When a mosquito bites an infected animal, the heartworm microfilariae are ingested along with the blood.
More definitions of microfilariaDefinition of microfilaria in:
- The US English dictionary