Definition of microlith in English:
A minute shaped flint, typically part of a composite tool such as a spear.
- Inside were large quantities of ‘narrow-blade’ flint microliths, including broken tools and knapping waste, showing that tools were made and repaired in the house.
- The way to find microliths (small Mesolithic flint barbs), he said, was to search springtime molehills.
- Their tools and equipment included microliths, woodworking tools such as chipped axes and adzes, picks, barbed points, bone and antler spearheads, and fishing equipment such as spears and fish-hooks.
- Example sentences
- A series of later Stone Age microlithic industries found widely across southern Africa and dating to the period 6000 bc through to ad 500 or later.
- Although small drills and perforators are occasionally found in archaeological contexts at cal A.D.900-1050, such tools are typically not made from formal microlithic cores.
- In contrast, the Pfeffer site debris included very little Mill Creek chert, but one house there possessed a concentration of microlithic tools utilized in shell bead manufacture.
Definition of microlith in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan