(Of an invertebrate) feeding on minute particles or microorganisms.
More example sentences
- Bottom or near-bottom feeding of the L klingeri animal as a scavenger or as a microphagous predator is envisaged, in a low-energy environmental setting.
- Despite these complex results, our data show that microphagous surface deposit feeders can select for particles based on size and organic coating.
- We have found that appendicularians, the most abundant microphagous metazoans, strongly stimulate the magnitude of experimentally induced blooms and that this effect can be scaled to any appendicularian density.
- More example sentences
- The role of paracrine signals such as microphagic cytokines in CL aging remains to be elucidated.
- McCormick et al. found that macrophagic omnivore percent was more responsive to sedimentation than total or microphagic omnivores.
- P. maraena is a microphagic omnivore, and stomachs sampled contained principally cladocerans, algae and small insects.
Definition of microphagous in:
- The US English dictionary