- A long, seismically active submarine ridge system situated in the middle of an ocean basin and marking the site of the upwelling of magma associated with sea-floor spreading. An example is the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.More example sentences
- Although Leg 2 was dogged with technical problems, it proved beyond doubt that the deepest sediments do indeed become younger as you approach the spreading centers at the mid-ocean ridges.
- The active volcanic vents along the spreading mid-ocean ridges create ideal environments for the circulation of fluids rich in minerals and for ore deposition.
- This is simply because new ocean floor, as we have seen, continuously forms at the mid-ocean ridges and then spreads away on either side, aging and collecting a progressively thicker sediment blanket as it does so.
More definitions of mid-ocean ridgeDefinition of mid-ocean ridge in:
- The US English dictionary