Definition of middle way in English:
1A policy or course of action which avoids extremes: there is no middle way between central planning and capitalism
More example sentences
- We have tried to get a middle way - a balanced course - and we have obviously come down for bringing in 4 weeks annual leave in 2007.
- In the Antigonish Movement, the tradition situates consumer co-operatives as enterprise models that, practically and ethically, represent a middle way between the two extremes.
- A supporter of modernism at the beginning of the 1930s, by the middle of the decade he began to have doubts, writing in praise of architecture that offered a middle way between extremes of modernism and traditionalism.
2 (the Middle Way) The eightfold path of Buddhism between indulgence and asceticism.
- He also travelled to Sakya where he studied monastic discipline, phenomenology, valid cognition, the Middle Way and Guhyasamaja with lamas such as Kazhipa Losel and Rendawa.
- Jane Browne is a long-time Buddhist practitioner, subscriber to the Middle Way since the early 1950s, and continual supporter of the English Sangha.
- The absence of contradiction between these two is the principle of the Middle Way - that mind is beyond conflict between existence and nonexistence.
Definition of middle way in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.