Demanding, involving, or having only a moderate degree of intellectual application: middlebrow fiction
More example sentences
- They do not like things that the vast middle class, middlebrow population likes.
- No thoughtful reader today would dismiss them as predominantly insipid or expressing nothing beyond a contemporary middlebrow understanding.
- I wish that the middlebrow worshippers of the simple would read the nursery rhymes in the light of their original meaning!
A middlebrow person.
- Since our highbrow elites are no longer capable of giving good advice, we middlebrows must use our own judgment to decide what art to buy.
- We are, for better and worse, middle class and middlebrow right down to our bones.
- Highbrow journals like the Antioch Review and the Partisan Review condemned the middlebrows who controlled the mass media for fostering anti-intellectualism and mindless conformity.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: middle|brow
Definition of middlebrow in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.