Definition of middlebrow in English:
Demanding, involving, or having only a moderate degree of intellectual application: middlebrow fiction
More example sentences
- They do not like things that the vast middle class, middlebrow population likes.
- No thoughtful reader today would dismiss them as predominantly insipid or expressing nothing beyond a contemporary middlebrow understanding.
- I wish that the middlebrow worshippers of the simple would read the nursery rhymes in the light of their original meaning!
nounBack to top
A middlebrow person.
- Since our highbrow elites are no longer capable of giving good advice, we middlebrows must use our own judgment to decide what art to buy.
- We are, for better and worse, middle class and middlebrow right down to our bones.
- Highbrow journals like the Antioch Review and the Partisan Review condemned the middlebrows who controlled the mass media for fostering anti-intellectualism and mindless conformity.
Definition of middlebrow in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan