- 1The middle part of winter: in midwinter the track became a muddy morassMore example sentences
- In midwinter, the sun's elevation does not exceed 20 to 23 degrees, and the shortest day consists of about nine hours of daylight.
- In midwinter, coach trips are available daily from Como town to Madesimo to ski for the day.
- Rituals enacted in midwinter ensured the return of the sun in springtime to breathe life back into the barren soil and bring fertility to the land so that its inhabitants may reap a plentiful harvest.
- 1.1The winter solstice.More example sentences
- The monument was orientated to mark sunrise at the midsummer solstice (and sunset at the midwinter solstice), but whether it has further astronomical significance is debatable.
- For two years we got along wonderfully as friends, until the night of the midwinter feast five years ago.
- Then she spoke softly, but her voice was cold as the ice when the midwinter sun rises.
More definitions of midwinterDefinition of midwinter in:
- The US English dictionary