adjective (mightier, mightiest)
- 1Possessing great and impressive power or strength, especially because of size: three mighty industrial countries mighty beastsMore example sentences
- This mighty power will continue to press for county councillors to respect the professional judgement of their highway engineers and consultants.
- This nation, once a mighty world power, is being systematically stripped of all its wealth and influence, and no-one bats an eyelid.
- A glance at the current spate of hotel marketing deals makes it clear that tykes are wielding some mighty power.
- 1.1(Of an action) performed with or requiring great strength: a mighty blowMore example sentences
- Stronger than rock, it yields a mighty blow to the foe with each assault.
- He has given our people stout hearts and strong arms with which to strike mighty blows for freedom and truth.
- It struck a mighty blow against slavery where it was strongest, in the plantation zone.
- 1.2 • informal Very large: a mighty £450More example sentences
huge, enormous, massive, gigantic, big, large, great, giant, colossal, mammoth, vast, immense, tremendous, stupendous, monumental, prodigious, mountainous, monstrous, titanic, towering, elephantine, king-sized, king-size, gargantuan, Brobdingnagian, substantial• informal mega, monster, whopping, whopping great, thumping, thumping great, humongous, jumbo(-sized), hulking, bumper, astronomical, astronomic
- Near the docks I was approached by a hairy creature staggering under a mighty rucksack.
adverb[as submodifier] • informal , chiefly North American Back to top
- Extremely: my ears got cold mighty fastMore example sentences
extremely, exceedingly, enormously, vastly, immensely, tremendously, hugely, markedly, remarkably, abundantly, deadly, awfully, dreadfully, mightily, very, very much, most, so, to a great extentBritish • informal well, jollyNorth American • informal plumbSouth African • informal lekker
- So when you reach 6,000 rpm the first time and think that this is a mighty fast car, the CCX is just limbering up.
- Cold, wind and precipitation can make you mighty uncomfortable, not to mention put you at risk for hypothermia.
- It's mighty curious behavior to dump shares as the stock price is climbing and their marketablity should increase.
- More example sentences
- The Romans wanted the architecture to show off the magnificence and mightiness of their emperor.
- No, mightiness comes later after many battles with enemy units, big spiders, polar bears, wolves, giants, and gangs of thugs.