- A rock composed of two intermingled but distinguishable components, typically a granitic rock within a metamorphic host rock: a series of dykes intrude the underlying migmatitesMore example sentences
- He regarded metamorphism and deformation as continuously related processes and found it impossible to accept migmatites as metamorphic rocks.
- In such a scenario, the leucogranite sheets might be interpreted to represent the conduits connecting the granite plutons through the migmatites to the granulites.
- Leucosomes and leucogranites that segregated over variable distances but remained within the migmatites contain entrained inclusion-rich biotite from proximal mesosome-melanosome.
early 20th century: from Greek migma, migmat- 'mixture' + -ite1.
More definitions of migmatiteDefinition of migmatite in:
- The US English dictionary