Definition of milfoil in English:
1The common Eurasian yarrow.
- Then, gardens in England were enriched with many species not previously known, among them plants which soon became very popular, like several campanulas, carnations, and milfoils.
2 (also water milfoil) A widely distributed aquatic plant with whorls of fine submerged leaves and wind-pollinated flowers.
- Genus Myriophyllum, family Haloragaceae
- Lakes and ponds have buttonbush, pickerel weed, bulltongue arrowhead, horned bladderwort, water milfoil, and water-shield growing in the water.
- The common kinds include the large family of pondweeds, coontail, water milfoil, water weeds, and naiads (Najas).
- In half of the sites studied, algae, mosses and plants such as water milfoil that had previously been absent were becoming abundant.
Middle English: via Old French from Latin millefolium, from mille 'thousand' + folium 'leaf'.
Definition of milfoil in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.