noun[mass noun] chiefly derogatory
The belief that a country should maintain a strong military capability and be prepared to use it aggressively to defend or promote national interests: the need for liberal democratic reforms to avoid a revival of militarism
More example sentences
- You're out to expose imperialism, militarism, and nationalism for what they really are.
- Based on this standpoint, we oppose every form of militarism and nationalism.
- He loathes war and militarism, and despises chauvinism in every form.
militarist noun& adjective
- More example sentences
- His government was autocratic, militarist, and nationalist.
- These actions are part of a very deliberate agenda to deny self-determination to the peoples of the world, keeping the world ‘safe’ for investors, corporations and militarists.
- And that is ultimately why we, the people, are going to win, and they, the corporate militarists, are going to lose.
Definition of militarism in:
- The US English dictionary