1 [mass noun] A herbaceous American plant with milky sap, some kinds of which attract butterflies or yield a variety of useful products.
- Genus Asclepias, family Asclepiadaceae
More example sentences
- Some of the primary plants for butterfly larvae include: aspen, alfalfa, clover, nettle, pearly everlasting, milkweed, grasses, hackberry, parsley, vetch, and willow.
- Plants here include prairie rose, nodding onion, gray-headed coneflower, butterfly weed, green milkweed, hoary puccoon, and even eastern prickly pear cactus.
- The larvae absorb toxins from their food plant, milkweed.
More definitions of milkweedDefinition of milkweed in:
- The US English dictionary