1Relating to or believing in Christian millenarianism.
- If the turn of the second millennium was not unlike the first in its lack of eschatological millenarian fervor, the end of the 20th century was much unlike the end of the 19th century.
- There has already been speculation from the apocalyptically inclined about how a Gibsonian reading of the Popol Vuh might dovetail with Christian millenarian prophecies of the End Times.
- One only needs direct access to the Gospels unmediated by historical traditions and unencumbered by church doctrines to find there the paradigmatic model of a successful millenarian cult.
1.1Denoting a religious or political group believing in a millennium marking an era of radical change or the beginning of a utopian period: millenarian Marxists
More example sentences
- The Plague offers a salutary counterweight to such utopian longings and millenarian consolations.
- The attempt to act in accordance with a system of ideas is invariably denounced as ideological, fanatical, utopian or millenarian.
- Theories of the new terrorism were that it would be something that would be in the service of universal and global ambitions, many of which would be religious or millenarian.
A person who believes in millenarianism: mainstream theologians argue that millenarians misuse scriptural prophecies
More example sentences
- Yes, many of the early Church Fathers were millenarians, and so were some later Catholics and Protestants.
- Weber has read one great slate of unhappiness, history as written by sects and prophets, millenarians, chiliasts, and televangelists.
- Far from waiting around resignedly for Christ's arrival, millenarians believed the godly Christian must prepare for Christ's advent by building paradise on earth.
Words that rhyme with millenarianagrarian, antiquarian, apiarian, Aquarian, Arian, Aryan, authoritarian, barbarian, Bavarian, Bulgarian, Caesarean (US Cesarean), centenarian, communitarian, contrarian, Darien, disciplinarian, egalitarian, equalitarian, establishmentarian, fruitarian, Gibraltarian, grammarian, Hanoverian, humanitarian, Hungarian, latitudinarian, libertarian, librarian, majoritarian, necessarian, necessitarian, nonagenarian, octogenarian, ovarian, Parian, parliamentarian, planarian, predestinarian, prelapsarian, proletarian, quadragenarian, quinquagenarian, quodlibetarian, Rastafarian, riparian, rosarian, Rotarian, sabbatarian, Sagittarian, sanitarian, Sauveterrian, sectarian, seminarian, septuagenarian, sexagenarian, topiarian, totalitarian, Trinitarian, ubiquitarian, Unitarian, utilitarian, valetudinarian, vegetarian, veterinarian, vulgarian
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: mil¦len|ar¦ian
Definition of millenarian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.